Salary: Inner London (competitive based on skills and experience)
Start date: September 2020 (with earlier planning, training and induction) Contract: Full time, permanent, subject to an enhanced DBS check
This is your chance to lead a great Mathematics department in a pioneering all-through school. Maths is taught in an inspirational way at School 21 combining the best of mastery approaches with rigorous, rich problem-solving tasks. The team you will be leading has a thirst for learning, is highly reflective and enjoys collaboration. Maths is brought to life at School 21 as students grapple with the big ideas and concepts that govern how the world works. Teachers plan exciting and challenging lessons, enquiries and projects that support students to develop a problem solving toolkit. There is a strong focus on oracy in Maths lessons with high quality talk aiding deeper understanding of difficult problems and concepts. Across the school the beauty and complexity of maths is celebrated.
We are looking for an agile leader who will be able to develop further the rich Maths curriculum, ground students in the basics of maths, deliver problem-solving projects and contribute to STEM and other cross-curricular projects. You will have the skill to move students seamlessly from the concrete to the abstract and have a strong understanding of global best practice across the age ranges. You will be open to the notion that advancements in new technology mean we may be able to rethink the pedagogy and curriculum of maths. You will be able to deliver outstanding outcomes for young people across the age ranges. School 21 is a very special and different kind of place to work in. All of us are striving to
become pioneers (rethinking key aspects of education practice), multipliers (growing others and building teams) craftsmen and women (who think deeply about their practice) and people with integrity (driven by a strong sense of values and purpose). This is what we are looking for in new members of staff. We empower staff to find their voice and their creativity. We offer collaboration and learning across ages and subjects and a tailored professional development programme. We believe strongly in developing the full potential of all staff and offer multiple routes of progression. Since we opened in 2012 we have put learning and teaching at the heart of everything we do. We have developed a unique approach to oracy including setting up a charity, Voice 21 (https://www.voice21.org/) which is already working with several hundred schools. We have also pioneered real world, interdisciplinary learning in collaboration with a network of extraordinary organisations: creative, artistic, high tech, professional. At School 21 we believe that the purpose of education is to develop the whole child: head (academics), heart (character and well-being) and hand (generating ideas, problem solving,
creating extraordinary authentic outcomes). School 21 has established a strong track record and a growing reputation, for example being the first and only international case study chosen by US educators, Edutopia
There was strong recognition in our most recent Ofsted for the ethos and approach of the
"Pupils across the school make exceptional progress"
"Pupils have excellent attitudes to learning, impeccable manners and show respect for
“Staff morale is exceptionally high. Teachers at the early stages of their career value the ‘fantastic’ professional development and opportunities to learn from each other. Those with more experience said that they have become much better teachers since joining the school.”
Through project-based learning "pupils achieve remarkable standards of work and demonstrated knowledge and skills at levels beyond those expected for their age "
“Pupils talk and discuss with a maturity and confidence that is remarkable for their years"
The successful candidate will be:
● An excellent leader who is skilled at building teams
● Experienced at delivering brilliant outcomes across the age ranges
● Experienced at developing other teachers
● A creative and deep thinker about pedagogy
● Innovative in using new technology to enhance learning
● A collaborative planner, able to work across subject disciplines
● Interested in developing the growth of every child – head, heart and hand
● A deep subject knowledge and the capacity to translate the complexity and beauty of
maths for all learners
ABOUT SCHOOL 21:
● 4 to 18 mixed, inclusive school in the heart of Stratford, Newham
● Cutting edge pedagogy and curriculum
● Small - only 75 children in each year group.
● We have to go-ahead to set up two new schools in close proximity to School 21
which will give staff more opportunities to grow and develop.
● We are part of a groundbreaking MAT -Big Education - including other like minded
schools who want to change the story of education
● Voice 21 is a charity we set up to develop oracy skills in schools across the country.
● Outstanding career development and exceptional CPD
● Generous TLRs based on experience and skills
● The chance to network with outstanding practitioners and learn from the best
● Collaborative working across the 4 to 18 school
● Leadership training and development opportunities
● A strong feedback culture so that teachers can develop in areas of their practice that
are important to them
● Every teacher being part of a team/circle that develops strategic practice
For more information see: or e-mail Anne Shaker at
or call 020 8262 2121.
To apply: Please visit the careers pages at and complete an online
School 21 is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to safeguarding
Closing date: Thursday, 6th February 2020 at 9am Likely interview date: Week commencing 10th February 2020